Use the model letter below to your employer and get as many of your colleagues as you can to sign. Remember to join a union and let us know how you get on.
As I am sure you are aware, the Infection Control Fund for care homes provides funds so that care providers can pay normal wages for any worker who needs to isolate. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adult-social-care-infection-control-fund-round-2/adult-social-care-infection-control-fund-round-2-guidance
The fund for care homes comes with the following guidance: “Providers can use this funding to pay for the continuation of infection control measures they may have already taken if they are in line with these measures:
- ensuring that staff who are isolating in line with government guidance receive their normal wages and do not lose income while doing so. At the time of issuing the grant circular, this includes:
- staff with suspected symptoms of COVID-19 waiting for a test
- where a member of the staff’s household has suspected symptoms of COVID-19 and are waiting for a test
- where a member of the staff’s household has tested positive for COVID-19 and is therefore self-isolating
- any staff member for a period of at least 10 days following a positive test
- if a member of staff is required to quarantine prior to receiving certain NHS procedures (generally people do not need to self-isolate prior to a procedure or surgery unless their consultant or care team specifically asks them to)
I am writing to seek your confirmation that you will access these funds and use them to pay normal wages to those of your staff whose work has been affected in this way. The government commissioned Vivaldi study into deaths in carehomes found that there was a 7-18% greater risk of Coronavirus infection in carehomes that did not pay sick pay. Ensuring no staff suffer financial hardship for isolating is an essential for the safety of our residents.
[You might like to add points about your personal circumstances here.}
[You and your colleagues]